I forgot to mention yesterday that Steven once again had a reading lesson from Mrs. Emma. He needs to learn my trick and pick easy books to read to her. It is a lot of fun to watch the two of them interact especially when it comes to reading and talking about Germany. Emma has a plan this weekend to get to learn everything about Germany and in return, the following weekend she plans to teach Steven all about the US… Stay tuned.
Melissa will have a good post, she can explain this better than I will… Mid-afternoon she called me yesterday excited about a call she had just received from the Palmyra High School. She wasn’t sure if it was the coach or principal that had called her, but the reason for the call was to ask us as host parents if Steven could participate in running with the Cross-Country Team. Apparently during Steven’s Physical Education class his running speed was noticed by a few of the other students. He can keep up with some of the schools best runners and news of this quickly spread through to the coaches. Steven said during his next class the coach interrupted his English class and asked “Which one is Steven?” The other students asked if he was in trouble and Steven said, “Yes, I’m a bad when I travel” that got a laugh out of the class. The coach asked if it would be alright if he contacted us to see about participating in sports. Steven eagerly agreed.
Last night Emma and I were home a little early and Steven was beginning his homework. He immediately asked if we had a phone call from school for him. I explained that they had called Melissa and asked if he was interested.. You will be seeing posts soon about Steven participating in Palmyra sports. Looks like German’s have some wheels!
Last night I had a meeting and two local Palmyra residents were also at the meeting. When they discovered Steven was living with us, they said they had heard he is a fast runner!!! News travels fast…
Xavier has never been very good about naming his colors. He can easily spot a John Deere tractor so we knew we were good with green, but other colors seemed to be a problem. It was enough that Melissa and I were thinking he may be color blind and we passed along the concern to his Preschool teacher to help watch for further signs or development. Below is a note from the teacher. It seems that X is just messing with us…
“I will keep you posted on the color concern. I can tell you this however, yesterday when we were outside he wanted to get out the set of primary colored bean bags from ball cart in the garage so I gave them to him. He used the red cart to load them all up...sorting them by matching color pairs very carefully and stacking them according to the pairs then wheeled them away to a picnic table. Once there he unloaded them and proceeded to arrange them in a pattern of alternating colors 2 by 2 by 2 very carefully, when another child wanted a bean bag I asked Xavier to share and he looked them all over, then very carefully sorted out the two red ones to give to that child.
Now I can't tell you he knows the names of those colors but he could clearly see a difference in red, yellow, blue and green because he kept the matching bags paired up all the time and arranged them as pairs.
We will keep an eye on things! Kids always keep us on our toes don't they!”
No comments:
Post a Comment