Monday, September 12, 2011

2 week summary

Some of my info might not match Melissa's prior posts but just remember, just like at home, I am always right..
I’m finally finding a few minutes to get caught up on this blog.  We have had an exciting two weeks, staying very busy with EVERYTHING.  The kids are off and running in the school routine and we have been able to show Steven a bit of Nebraska.  Labor Day weekend began with tailgating with my younger brother at his annual tailgate location across from the stadium.  Steven got to witness firsthand what downtown Lincoln looks like on a home Husker gameday in the fall, how the stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in our state, and the “sea of red”.  Friends of ours from Bennet have tickets and Chad invited Steven to attend the game with him.  It was perfect weather and a perfect afternoon for a game.  The team played well and Chad was able to secure access to the field after the game for a few pictures.  Very few people ever get that opportunity.  After the game Steven and Chad met us at our friend’s house in Lincoln where we were watching other college games and having an extended tailgate party.  It was a late night. 
 Chad & Steven
 Melissa, Steven, X, Emma, and Miko
 Tailgate Spot

Justin and Beezer
Beezer & Miko

Waste of Money Band


Sea of Red





Emma ended up spending the night at their home and Sunday morning Melissa, Steven, Xavier, and Michael along with our neighbors Sarah and son Hunter loaded up for a 2.5 hour drive towards the center of the state Grand Island now home of the Nebraska State Fair.  Sarah’s husband Joe and I stayed behind.  I needed to work and Emma was boating with our neighbor.  While at the fair Steven jumped on the big rides, almost flipping his own pizza on the ride that spins around while completely inverted…  Melissa has video proof on her Facebook.  He also took Xavier on some of the smaller rides.  Sunday night we had company over but the kids including Steven went to bed early. 
Monday we all went shopping and hung around home most all of the day.  Steven had his first Cross Country practice Monday afternoon in Bennet.  Their coach had them run 4 miles and he was in enough shape to keep up.
Tuesday was back-to-school routine.  Steven needed a Doctor checkup to allow him to participate in sports so Melissa took him that afternoon.  That evening Steven was fighting the start of a stomach bug and stayed home to recover on Wednesday.  He told us in Germany you go to school unless you are near death.  We told him we’d rather he recover at home quicker before it gets worse and more important to avoid contaminating other students.  A day’s rest must have helped because he was ready to go back on Thursday.  This was his first Cross Country meet however the coach had him just attend as a spectator. 
Saturday was very busy.  All were up early to head into Lincoln for the Lincoln Airshow at the airport.  Later that afternoon we once again went to my brother’s tailgate.  This was an evening game so we left just before kickoff and drove back to Bennet.  Saturday morning we had some very sad news that a friend of ours daughter attending college had been killed in a motorcycle accident Friday night.  Her and her boyfriend were away at college and an oncoming car swerved into their lane killing them both.  Alexis (Lexi) was an amazing girl.  Homecoming queen, amazing athlete, and comes from a very neat family that are very active in our community.  It is one of those horrific stories you hear about happening in a small town where it affects everyone because everyone knows them..  Melissa and I can’t even imagine what that would be like.  I think for both of us we wanted to keep into our plans for the day but it really made us both want to be home that night.  We weren’t able to watch the game at home because of our cable so while listening to the team play poorly, I honestly didn’t care.  Even with 9/11 the next day, nothing, football nor dedication ceremonies seemed nearly as important as what we knew our friends were dealing with.  Emma is at an age where she understands and although she is sad for Lexi, it is heartbreaking when she mentions how sad she is for Mariah (Mo), Lexi’s younger sister that Emma knows from babysitting and from our neighbor’s daughter and Mo playing with Emma and her friend Tara.







Sunday morning was perfect weather.  Melissa was in Lincoln doing family pictures for some friends so Steven and I had Emma, X, and Miko outside enjoying the day.  We left to meet Melissa around lunch to do some quick shopping.  The early afternoon Steven helped me with a project outside.  I brought home a pickup truck we had bought a few months ago for our fire department.  I’ll keep it in our garage while I fit it with lights, sirens, radios, and run plumbing for hoses.  I use to do these projects at the fire station but it is so hard to get away for that much time I have found it much easier to have it home where I have all my tools and where I can work on it for a few minutes here and there.  I think Steven was surprised when I took down the headliner in the cab, lined up brackets to start drilling holes in the center of the roof of what he thought of as a new pickup…  I showed him pictures of the wreaked truck we were replacing to give him an idea what it would look like (hopefully) when we are all done. 
Melissa had some extended family visiting in Syracuse so we headed to her parents house on the farm Sunday afternoon.  Steven was able to meet the rest of Melissa’s family including her older sisters and parents.  He got to see a little life on the farm seeing where Melissa grew up.  We walked around, he was impressed by some of the equipment.  I’m excited for him to go down at harvest time and ride with Melissa’s dad in the combine and trucks.

We headed home early since it was a school night, the kids would need a bath from petting horses and having played outside, and Steven needed rest since today is his first CC meet.  It is almost an hour north of Lincoln so Melissa and I aren’t able to go watch. 
After the kids were bathed and Miko was in bed Steven wanted to head back out to work on the truck.  We worked another 45 minutes, Emma and X watched until bed-time.  He asked this morning if we were going to work on it tonight and was disappointed when I told him I was gone to meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment