Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My 2 Cents

Steven’s first day of school went well.  Some of the classes that are easy for him in Germany are a little more difficult for him, simply because the teaching methods are different, and of course the language is different.  He was asking me some questions about a chemistry assignment and I didn’t have many answers for him.  Why?  Well, it’s chemistry.  Math and science were never my thing—chemistry, science and I have an understanding that they will keep doing their thing, and I will continue to be blissfully ignorant.  Therefore, my brain is quite rusty after years of little to no use.  Basically, I was worthless except for helping translate some words and phrases.  When he began his English homework, I knew I could help.  To quote Ralph from The Simpsons, “That’s where I’m a Viking!”

Even so, I had to look up what, exactly, were prepositional phrases.  If they start diagramming sentences, I’m out. 

Steven is more disciplined than I ever was in doing his homework.  He said, “In Germany, we work first, then we have fun.”  Case in point, he wasn’t even distracted when his friend, Lucas, an exchange student from Brazil who lives up the street, stopped by with a couple of girls and asked if Steven wanted to take a walk.  He actually said, “I will finish my homework first.”  Impressive.  Just seeing him sitting at the table working inspired all 3 of our kids to get to work.  Emma did her 2nd grade homework sheet while Xavier practiced cutting lines and Miko scribbled on paper.  I see Steven is already creating a very positive influence in our house.

I needed to go to the grocery store and asked Steven if he needed anything or would like to tag along.  Seeing that it was 7:30, I wasn’t sure if he’d be able to go hang out with Lou, as it would be 8:30 or later by the time we got back.  He insisted on going and we picked up a couple of school items for him, among all the stuff I bought.  On the way, Emma typed on her little pink computer, “Steven I love you.”  Very sweet.  At the store, she really thought he needed some football-shaped Oreo cookies, so she got him a package and proceeded to choose a package for herself.  Hold it right there, missy…nice try.  Turns out, Steven is pretty handy to take along because he’s taller and has longer arms to reach the top shelf.  He also doesn’t kick the cart and complain 5 minutes into the shopping trip like Justin.  AND, he helps unload the car and put things away, too!  All without complaining.  Perhaps it’s because he doesn’t know the words?  I didn’t hear him mutter in German either, so I’ll take it.

On the way home, Emma demanded to know what Germany was like and how you “speak in Germany.”  Steven taught her how to say “I love you” and how to count to ten.  Between the two of them, they made a deal that Saturday and Sunday were German days, when Emma could ask him anything she wanted about being German; in exchange, she would teach him about America.  As a side note, before Steven arrived, Emma had been telling everyone that he was from Japan and she was the only one who could talk to him, since she was the only one who could speak Japan.  When Justin corrected her she said, “They both start with the ‘juh’ sound, how was I supposed to know?!”  Classic Emma.

Before the kids went to bed, they talked Steven into reading them a book.  I don’t know that he will want to do it again, knowing what a stern teacher Emma turned out to be.  Of course, Steven has a heavy German accent and while he does very well with English, ‘th’ sounds like an ‘s’ and ‘v’ sounds like ‘w.’  Emma took him to task for pronouncing “things” as “sings.”  She said, “No, no, it’s THINGS.  Not sings.  TH TH TH THINGS.”  He said it again, and once again, she got after him.  Justin and I were trying not to laugh too loudly from the kitchen, but after a while, we took mercy on the boy and explained to Emma the beauty of accents and language and how people from different places talk in a variety of ways. 

Once the kids were tucked away, Steven stayed up with us, giving us a virtual tour of his hometown of Berlin plus a lesson in German History.  Although the pictures from Google Maps were about 3 years old, technology is amazing.  To be able to see where he lives and where he goes to school is pretty darn cool.

This morning, he was up and ready for another great day at Palmyra.  Justin took him to the school bus shuttle (which incidentally, is very clean, according to Lou!).  Tonight, I’m just hoping he has homework I can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment